Mouans-Sartoux is located in the Grasse valley between Cannes (12 km) and Grasse (8 km) and in the immediate vicinity of Mougins.
Commune of rural tradition, the economy of Mouans-Sartoux has for a long time been turned towards agriculture (vineyards and olive trees). In the eighteenth century the education of silkworms was also one of the economic activities of Mouans. Indeed on the cadastre of 1738 mulberry trees are mentioned in different neighborhoods, and especially in the district of the Grand’Piece, belonging to the Lord of Mouans, a building, the silk factory serves “to pull the silk.” It worked until the 1940s.
Later, the plants with perfume (jasmine, rose of May) were exploited. There are still some fields of flowers near the Tower of Laure which, it, serves for the detection of forest fires.
A little history: Mouans and Sartoux were two separate settlements: Mouans, in the plain while Sartoux was installed on the hill of Castellaras. In 1199, the Cistercian Abbey Notre-Dame-des-Prés settled in Sartoux.
Originally Mouans and Sartoux constitute two distinct communities. Around 1350, like many villages in the region, Mouans and Sartoux are abandoned (insecurity, plague). It was in 1496 that Pierre de Grasse, then lord of Mouans brought sixty families of Figons from the region of Genoa to repopulate its territory and passes with them an act of habitation. It is at this time that the village is built.
In the spring of 1858 Mouans-Sartoux was officially born. Napoleon III united the two communities.
Today, the old village is one of those villages where it is good to flaner according to his desires. Castle: Built from the late fifteenth century to the early sixteenth century the castle of Mouans remained the property of Grasse until 1750, then it passed to Villeneuve. During the Revolution, the castle of Mouans suffered the fate of many stately homes. It is “the good city of Grasse”, which will largely destroy it. It became the property of the Durand de Sartoux family in the early nineteenth century who will rehabilitate it. It will be rebuilt according to the original plans. He kept his triangular architecture, his three towers, his inner courtyard. The castle of Mouans-Sartoux became thanks to the “Espace de l’Art Concret”, a center of permanent contemporary art and international reputation. In the old stables of the castle, was installed a rural museum on the life of yesteryear.
Old Saint-Bernardin Chapel of the White Penitents (15th century): Private domain White Penitents
Lime kilns: on the Place du Général Leclerc were many lime kilns that the town decided to close because the administrative authorities did not find them hygienic. In 1861, the surface was transformed into a public place for grain drying. This place will be tiled the same year.
Place du grand meadow: Located in front of the town hall, this place is a former threshing and drying area for wheat. In 1850, the town acquired a new land to make a threshing floor that became a public square.
Tourist Office of Mouans Sartoux: 258, avenue de Cannes – +33 (0) 18.104.22.168.16
Rose centifolia, jasmine, tuberose, lavender, geranium, broom, orange tree …, perfumes are born first in plants, from here or elsewhere. In the unique setting of the Gardens of the International Perfume Museum, one discovers and feels those species that have provided for centuries the precious raw materials of perfumery.
Beautifully located in the heart of the fields of perfume plants traditionally cultivated in the country of Grasse, the Gardens of the International Perfume Museum are part of the project of territory led by the agglomeration community Pôle Azur Provence and thus become the conservatory of perfume plants of the museum, a natural area witnessing the olfactory landscape linked to local agriculture.
Articulated around an old canal and an agricultural basin, the site extends over 2 hectares. In these gardens, field crops of species traditionally grown for perfumery alongside landscaped areas with various collections of fragrant or aromatic plants. Their primary purpose is to contribute to the conservation of the varietal diversity of traditional species cultivated for perfumery. They also reflect the olfactory landscape of local agriculture.
Gardens of the International Museum of Perfumery: 979 chemin des Gourettes: +33 (0) 22.214.171.124.69
Inaugurated in 1990, the Espace de l’Art Concret was born from the meeting and will of two collectors, Sybil Albers and Gottfried Honegger, and the mayor of Mouans-Sartoux, André Aschiéri.
Since its inception, this artistic and cultural project is linked to the education of the eye. The programming of thematic exhibitions allows reflection on art and society as well as confrontations between the various forms of artistic expression. The essential place given to the pedagogy makes it possible to sensitize the widest public to the art of today. The educational workshops created in 1998 answer the question of the artistic education of young audiences. The goal is to “learn to watch because watching is a creative act” (Gottfried Honegger).
The Espace de l’Art Concret develops its action around three poles: the conservation and enhancement of the Albers-Honegger Donation, the programming of temporary exhibitions in the Castle Gallery and the pedagogical action in the Pedagogic Workshops. “Children’s playground”.
Sybil Albers and Gottfried Honegger wanted to make their collection accessible to the public. Depositing with the city of Mouans-Sartoux at first, this collection was the subject of a donation to the French State in 2000.
This first donation was completed by a large donation of personal works by Gottfried Honegger in 2001 and several sets of works in 2002, 2004 and 2005.
This collection, augmented by important additional donations (such as Donations Aurelie Nemours and Catherine and Gilbert Brownstone), has now found its place in a building designed by Swiss architects Annette Gigon and Marc Guyer.
These donations brought together under the name “Donation Albers-Honegger” are entirely devoted to abstract, geometrical or constructed art and offer a broader vision of concrete art.
Space of concrete art: Chateau de Mouans Sartoux – 04.93.75.71.50
The area of the castle park is equal to that of the old village (nearly 3.5 ha). Recently landscaped by Gilles Clément both gardener and landscape architect, in collaboration with the landscaper François Navarro, there is a wide variety of plants with very original names.
The purpose of the Château Park redevelopment project is to recall the initial use of the park and to increase the flow of visitors between the “Clairière des jardins” around the château and the “Bois des transparences”.
A beautiful square platform in front of the castle hosts summer events. A “garden of 7 colors” alongside a new pre planted with fig and olive trees. The terrace of flowering plum trees and wisteria from the north of the Château is the first step towards the “Bois des transparences”. In the woods, a set of small clearings punctuated by 26 stone monoliths inspired by a pre-existing block of stone on site are used as benches, fountains with bird baths, luminous posts and water points on which are engraved names corresponding to the French names of the plants present in the garden of the 7 colors. This path offers a real way down to the small bridge over the Rougon. This project emphasizes the topography of the site and gives us, by the diversity of the planted species, a cycle of permanent flowering.
The esplanade “champêtre” is treated in olive grove and fig tree as it was originally, it is a multi generational hospitality to receive the many events held in Mouans-Sartoux..